The Goan branch of the
Kadamba Dynasty ruled during 1000-1334 A.D. and it consisted of fourteen kings
who ruled in succession. The kings of this dynasty were ruling from Chandrapura
(now known as Chandor) before they moved over to Goa.
They made use of the dissensions between the weakening Rashtrakoota Empire and
the rising Kalyani Chalukya dynasty. Guhulladeva-1, Shastadeva-2,
Guhulladeva-3, Jayakeshi-2, Shivachitta, Vishnuchitta and Jayakeshi-3 are among
the important kings who constitute this dynasty. Gopaka PaTTaNa (Goapuri) was
built in 1054 A.D. as the capital of this kingdom. This was a crucial place in
the context of trans-oceanic trade and commerce. The Kadmba kings entered in to
many pacts with other kings so that their trade interests were not affected.
Guhulldeva-2 entered in to an agreement with the Muslim settlers of ‘Tiswadi’
(tisvADi’) also. By the end of the 11th century Kadambas were firmly
entrenched in the regions of Goa and Konkan. Gradually Goa
became the hub of intra coastal and trans-oceanic trade and it was a cherished
destination for traders and sea farers. However the dominance of the Kadambas
started waning and they could match the mauruding armies of Hoysalas, Yadavas
and Kalachuris. Kadambas were totally over powered by the end of thirteenth
century and thus ended another chapter in the history of Kadamba dynasty.
Many scholars have opined
that the Kadambas had a distinct architectural style in comparison to Chalukya,
Pallava and Hoysala styles. The Mahadeva temple at Tambadi Surla in Goa and Kamala Narayana temple in Deggamve in North Karnataka are illustrative of the characteristic features of
this style. The most ancient temple in the all of Goa is located at
Tambdi Surla. This well-preserved structure from the Kadamba dynasty was built
in Jain style in the 12th century. The Tambdi Surla Temple was constructed with
black basalt stone. It is quite small in comparison with most other Goan
temples and the top part of the temple has never been completed. Intricate
carvings adorn the interior of the temple, which
is accessed by an entrance hall with doorways on three sides. Four monolith
carvings support the ceiling with a lotus flower in the center. The exterior of
the temple has some miniature examples of sculpture and relief carvings. The
temple faces towards the east so that the rays of the rising sun fall on the
deity at the crack of dawn. The Sri Kamala Narayana temple was commissioned by
Kamaladevi, the queen of Shivachitta the Kadamaba king of Goa.
This branch of Kadambas did not
really have many connections with Karnataka and it is merely a continuation of
the well known Kadamba dynasty of Banavasi.
Home / Land History and People